As a requirement for one of my classes, my professor ask that we make a list of twenty or so statements about ourselves. Here is the initial prompt: Make a list of twenty statements about yourself. Begin each statement with "I am..." and then finish that statement. After writing the statements we will then be asked a series of reflective questions. If you feel up for the challenge as well I suggest you make the list before reading the reflective questions because they may sway what you put down.
- I am a twenty-three year old female.
- I am a wife and a newlywed!
- I am a sister.
- I am a daughter.
- I am a loyal friend.
- I am a food addict.
- I am spontaneous.
- I am always running late.
- I am good with kids because they never cease to make me happy.
- I am always getting sick.
- I am not the best student.
- I am pretty dang lazy.
- I am tired often as I don't get much sleep.
- I am in LOVE with music.
- I am looking to live a more spiritual life.
- I am aspiring to be a human resource manager.
- I am hoping to move back down South.
- I am white.
- I am funny.
- I am a good writer.
We are then in charge of writing a response after giving thought to the following questions: What do you notice about [your list]? More positive or negative statements? How do you know these things about yourself (social comparison/reflected appraisal processes)? If someone who knew you well saw your list would they agree or disagree with any of your statements?
I will post my reflection after completing it!
Have a nice week & good luck if you plan on taking this self-reflective challenge,