Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Happy 9 month birthday, my little turkey!





Wow.  I know I say this every month - and I will probably be saying this for the rest of my life - but I cannot believe how fast the time is going!  Our little baby girl is a mere three months away from her first birthday!  And it truly feels like just yesterday that we were celebrating her THREE month birthday! As I said before, she weighed in at 16 pounds 13.5 ounces and was 27 inches tall!  Her head (75%) and height (between the 50-75%) have followed the same curve as always but her weight has started to drop off her curve (25%).  We will go back in a month to weigh her to make sure everything is okay.

I learn more and more about Presley everyday, especially as her personality develops and emerges.  As much as I enjoy hogging her to myself, I think one of my favorite things is watching how she interacts with other people.  Here is what my little beauty has been up to...

  • She no longer keeps bows on her head.  Once she realizes it's there, she reaches up and tugs it down off her head with no problem.  She is getting strong and extremely smart!
  • Presley's outgrown most of her 6-9 month clothing (especially her pants) and is moving into her 9-12 month stuff.  She's been in 12 month sleepers for a few weeks now, but we only have a few of them.  Does anyone know a good place to buy sleepers?  I know you can get them just about anywhere, but I am looking for good quality, a good deal, and something warm enough for this time of year.
  • Ladies and gentlemen, we have a semi-crawler!  She is more of a scooter and spin-around-in-a-circle kinda girl... but hey, whatever works!  She is really getting around these days.
  • We had our first choking experience this past weekend with Presley.  And wouldn't you know it was one of those child-friendly puffs?  My mom had literally just taught me what to do in case that were to ever happen - so it was fresh on my mind.  I picked her up as fast as I could, faced her body/face downward, and smacked her on the back a few times.  The puff and some puke came right up and she was just fine.  I'm sure she would have gotten the puff down herself without my intervening, but I wasn't going to take that chance.  I'm not gonna lie, I really felt like a bad ass in that moment.  And a capable mommy.  My mom was there to witness it all, too, and she said, "You really did everything just right!"  Sounds like I had a good teacher, thanks Mom! ;)
  • Still in a size 3 diaper, still loves water in her sippy cup, and is getting more comfortable with dogs!
  • Sleep training using the Ferber/progressive waiting method was a SUCCESS!  And Presley is also taking a daily nap (usually) lasting about an hour and a half most days.  This is WONDERFUL.  If any of you moms would like to know any more about our experience, just let me know and I'd be happy to share more in depth.
  • She's learning to give kisses and every so often if you ask nicely enough, she complies and there is absolutely nothing sweeter than baby kisses.
  • Still a little waving machine!  But only when the mood arises.  Her mood has been hit and miss this past week - Tony and I think it's another round of teething!
  • Presley is even more into table food these days.  She thinks that whatever Tony and I eat are fair game for her!  This is why we wait to eat dinner until after she's in bed most nights, though we don't mind sharing the things that she can eat.
  • We think she had a negative reaction to either quinoa or broccoli last week.  She had eczema-type rashes all over her so we are gonna wait to give her either of those for a little bit.  This is the first time she's reacted negatively to any foods!
  • We've made it to our 9 month breastfeeding goal!  And I certainly couldn't have done it without all the support I've gotten along the way - especially the support and encouragement I receive from my husband every day.  So, it's time to set the BIG goal, FINALLY!  Our next goal is to keep breastfeeding until 12 months and I don't see us stopping now.
  • Presley shared one of her snacks with me the other day.  I asked her if Mama could have one and I leaned forward & opened my mouth - she picked up on of her little snacks and dropped it in my mouth!!!  I was shocked!  She didn't do it again, though, and was quick to shove those little snacks in her own mouth from then out!
  • So excited to celebrate our first Thanksgiving as a family of three with friends and family this week!  Looking forward to good food and good times and especially getting the chance to meet and hopefully love on the newest baby in our family - mister Emory!  (I say hopefully because there will be a lot of excited family members there to hold this new sweetie.)

This is unrelated to Presley's development - but if I hear one more person comment on how "spoiled" my child is [what does that even mean??] because I care for her all day or because I tend to her needs as they come - I will possibly snap.   
So look everyone, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
Please know that it is in my opinion that there is no such thing as spoiling a child with too much love; that makes absolutely ZERO sense.  There is also no such thing as a perfect parent - so when you can look me square in the eyes and tell me you are the perfect parent, then and only then can you comment negatively on the choices I make for my family.  I am open for fluid conversations.  I can take constructive criticism (if it comes from a good place).  I don't think I can take anymore talking behind my back without confronting people or being talked down to without getting personal.  Is this how every new or young mother feels?  If so, then why is it that our society feels that this type of behavior is acceptable?  Why do we feel we've earned the right to judge others?

On another note, one of my friend's mom made a comment just the other day that I was doing a fine job on raising Presley and while it was just very casually made, it really meant a great deal to me.  It also made me reflect on how I talk to others; do I encourage the people I love?  Either way, it was one of the best compliments I could have gotten at this point in my life and a great reminder to be a light to others!

All in all, I am in love with my life.  I love my friends.  I love my family.  I love my sweet nine month little girl.  I am so beyond blessed.  I wouldn't have picked this path for my life but that is what is so amazing about God's plan - it is so much better than our own!  I will leave you guys with some recent pictures -- much love and happy Thanksgiving to you guys; I hope everyone shares the day with some delicious food and reflecting on the people who bring you joy.

Two of my best friends - Katie S. and her nephew, Harlan - Katie D. and her nephew Landyn!
Both of them live out of town and it was so nice to get together while they were here.  Miss them so much!

Molly, Alli, & Presley at their latest hangout session.  Two and a half weeks until the twins are ONE!

Another one of my best friends, Betsy, posing with Presley!

My mom and Presley shortly after the choking incident. 
Presley gave her Gramma/Grammy a kiss before she left, too!

4 comments:

  1. Happy 9 months to Presley! She is so adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for hitting 9 months old, Presley!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 9 months Presley! Congrats on making 9 months of breastfeeding Ali!! That is awesome! And do not feel bad for wanting to snap at anyone who tries to tell you you're spoiling your little angel. You cannot spoil a child with love. I deal with this a lot from daycare (and my mom and aunt) it drives me up a wall. I guess it's just the different generations, but you're right, why is this attitude accepted by society? Grrr... lol anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY 9 MONTHS. What a big girl :) There is no such thing as spoiling, the people who say she is spoiled are the people that don't love on there child as much as you!! At least I bet, lol.

    ReplyDelete