Saturday, April 16, 2011

Easy Crockpot Mesquite BBQ Pork Roast.

Okay, so we totally just had the best dinner... ever. Or at least the best dinner we've made at home for a VERY long time. I'm not sure what was my favorite part -- the fact that it was so easy or the fact that it was so cheap?



I'm going to expand on these thoughts so when I quickly forget this moment, hopefully I can remind myself here. I get bored with cooking at home pretty fast because it can really get monotonous. Also, who doesn't like propping their feet up and having someone else cook for you? But thanks to the crock pot, we can eat at home for cheap, having something delicious, AND feel like someone else did all the cooking. Nice, eh? Hyvee just had a sale on their Hormel Pork Center Cut Loin Filet - it's usually $9.99 for over 1.5 lbs - and on sale it was B1G1 free. (Which is a great deal!!!) So tonight I cooked the Mesquite Barbeque one for the first time and as you can tell it was a huge hit.

Ingredients:
-Hormel Pork Center Cut Loin Filet (paid: $4.99)
-About 10 Small Red Potatoes (paid: $1.53 for 1.74 lbs.)
-1 bunch of Green Top Carrots (paid: $.99)
-Yellow Onion (paid: $.40)
-8 Pack of Buns (paid: $1.19) - but we only used 4 buns so for the purpose of this meal we really spent $.60 on the buns

Total Spent: $8.50


Directions:

  1. Take the roast out of the packaging and put it into the crock pot.
  2. Take the stems of the carrots off - then peel & chop the carrots; peeled the outer layer then chopped the onion; & rinsed the red potatoes off.
  3. Put the veggies & potatoes on top of the roast in the crock pot.
  4. Added about 1/2 C. of water.
  5. Cooked the roast for an hour on high and then about five hours on low and it was good to go. While it was cooking every once in a while I lifted the lid and basted the potatoes and meat with the juices from the bottom of the crock pot so nothing dried out.
  6. When it was all ready I pulled apart the pork; we ate the pulled pork on the buns (didn't even need BBQ sauce it was so flavorful!) and then ate the carrots and potatoes on the side.


Again, this was delicious, easy, and fairly inexpensive. Plus, we have a bit of leftovers. (We were gonna have my mom over for dinner but she already had other plans.) Because of this sale we got a couple other roasts I'm excited to try: Lemon Garlic & Honey Mustard. I'm not sure if it'll beat out this BBQ though.

How did you like the recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought, the things you added, and any changes you would make! Also, take a second to vote for our blog - click the button & then click again to vote!


Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed reading about this and I also hope you get to try something like this for dinner sometime soon if you haven't already! Happy eating --

10 comments:

  1. Why is it called Crockpot Mesquite BBQ Pork Roast? Where's the Mesquite flavoring?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its on the packaging of meat....guess you didn't catch that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Husband/kids did not like it- not enough flavor. Id say skip the potatoes, add bbq sauce then put on buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey -- to each their own. Gotta find what works for you, this is just what worked for us!

      Delete
  4. We love doing this meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up.
    Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again. Anyhow,
    just wanted to say great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful work! That is the type of info that should be
    shared around the internet. Shame on Google for no longer positioning this submit upper!

    Come on over and discuss with my website . Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds good, I will cook it tomorrow, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was more than happy to discover this page. I want to to thank you for your time for
    this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely liked every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to look at new information on your web site.

    ReplyDelete