Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Cream-of-Whatever Substitute

So I mentioned the other day that I refuse to buy cream-of-whatever soups anymore. For one, the consistency (including color) just grosses me out. Why does it look like that? Plus, why would I buy the soup when I could easily make a substitute myself for super cheap and easy?

Good observation by Dave Ramsey
Something I like about this recipe is every ingredient is something most folks have on hand at all times. Which makes the cost of the recipe low low low.

Cream of Chicken Substitute (yields one can cream of chicken)

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tablespoon flour
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. Whisk in flour until smooth & bubbly.
  3. Remove from heat & add broth/milk.
  4. Return to heat & gentle boil - whisking constantly until soup thickens.


One of my favorite ever side dishes is green bean casserole and when I made the casserole with this substitute instead of the canned soup it tasted SO amazing! I use it all the time and at first it seemed to add so much time to every recipe but it's not bad at all. And like I said before, it is definitely worth it.



And when you've got to wrangle kids, carts, and groceries while shopping one less thing to have to bring home makes a difference.

I swear this isn't becoming a cooking blog but it seems like that's the only thing I've felt motivated to share lately and I'm clutching onto it like crazy and hoping to use it on a bridge back to writing and sharing! Now you: What are your favorite substitutions to make in the kitchen? Have any good recipes to share? I'd love to hear from those of you reading this on what you think!

    1 comment:

    1. I use this recipe as well.
      I couldn't tell you the last time I bought creamed soup.

      ReplyDelete