Monday, March 3, 2014

The Oscars (& real life)!

Tony & I are big fans of award shows - especially when it comes to movies.  We have been movie watchers forever and seeing movies together was a huge part of the beginning of our friendship and relationship.  I wish we had saved every ticket stub over the years from the movies we saw together... there would be a literal ton, I'm sure.  Anyways, needless to say, it has become less and less of a staple for us over the more recent years.  We have moved from the theaters to watching movies at home and even then, we rarely get around to watching movies anymore!  (Too busy making babies!!!  Just kidding, family... usually just too tired!)  Probably like so many of you did last night, we made a list of movies to see together.  Most movies on the list were nominees from this year, but a couple slipped onto the list when they showed the compilations of previous nominees, too!

  1. Philedelphia  (Tony has never seen it!!!!)
  2. Ali
  3. Braveheart (again... Tony has never seen this!!! Ahhh!!)
  4. Argo
  5. Zero Dark Thirty
  6. The Butler
  7. Gravity
  8. Frozen
  9. Dallas Buyers Club
  10. 12 Years a Slave
  11. Wolf of Wallstreet
  12. American Hustle
  13. Fruitvale Station
  14. Her
  15. Lincoln
  16. Runner Runner
  17. Man of Steel
  18. Prisoners
  19. The Lone Survivor
  20. The Great Gatsby
  21. The Lady in Number Six: Music Saved my Life
  22. August Osage County
  23. The Book Thief
  24. Blue Jasmine

So that's our list of movies to see.  And my thoughts on the Oscars this year?  Absolutely LOVED them and so happy to see Ellen hosting (again).  She is without a doubt my favorite talk-show host/personality.  She is such a great person.  My favorite moment for the whole program was seeing one of my idols, Idina Menzel, perform her song "Let it Go".  Between Wicked, Rent, Enchanted, Private Practice, & Glee {that's right... I have YET to see Frozen!} it's hard to imagine I'll ever adore her more than I already do!  Not to mention, her marriage to Taye Diggs is such a beautiful thing - I love their story - and her family is just gorgeous.  Her voice makes me want to cry in the best way... Idina is soooo incredibly talented.

What else?  I loved Pharrel's performance of "Happy" !!!  It made me happy and sing and dance and was Tony's favorite performance of the evening.  And when Pharrel danced through the crowd?  LOVED.  When he made it to Jennifer Lawrence her face and reaction was PRICELESS and had us CRACKING UP!!!  (She was looking like, 'Oh my god, PLEASE no!')  I think Pink's version of "Over the Rainbow" was sad... I just didn't like it and wished I had.  I think Bette Midler did just fantastic and "Wind Beneath my Wings" was terribly poignant for the In Memorandum segment.  Seeing Paul Walker's face up and name up there was like a dagger to a freshly healed heart... completely respected that they ended on Phillip Seymour Hoffman and I felt the loss of a great artist once again.  It's just such an awful situation.

I loved that Jennifer Lawrence was all over the Oscars - they showed her reaction a bunch, she presented, and was mentioned by Ellen several times.  Love.  Her.  Was sad she didn't win in her category, but if you are gonna lose, at least you lose to the beautiful, deserving, and gracious Lupita!  Her acceptance was so moving.
"Thank you to the Academy for this incredible recognition. It doesn’t escape me for one moment that so much joy in my life is thanks to so much pain in someone else’s. And so I want to salute the spirit of Patsey for her guidance. And for Solomon, thank you for telling her story and your own."
Jared Leto's acceptance was one of the highlights for me.  If you haven't heard it, check it out.
"...To all the dreamers out there around the world watching this tonight in places like Ukraine and Venezuela, I want to to say we are here, and as you struggle to make your dreams happen and live the impossible, we are thinking of you tonight.  This is for the 36 million people who have lost the battle to AIDS. And to those of you who have ever felt injustice because of who you are and who you love, I stand here in front of the world with you and for you..."
 Good man.  So much respect for him as an artist and as a human. 

I also loved Cate Blanchett's flawless acceptance:
"...For so bravely and intelligently distributing the film and to the audiences who went to see it and perhaps those of us in the industry who are still foolishly clinging to the idea that female films with women at the center are niche experiences. They are not. Audiences want to see them and, in fact, they earn money. The world is round, people..."
What a woman!

Oh and Ellen ordering pizza for her friends?  So very fun.  Oh and the selfie that broke Twitter!!!!  I mean, broke a Twitter record.  In case you missed it, Ellen was live tweeting throughout the night.  She decided to take a photo with her phone of herself and some celebrities in the front row and wanted to break the record for most retweeted photo and she just smashed that record!  Last I checked, it had been retweeted 2.8 million times!  And it's a great photo.



All in all, I didn't regret the 3 hours we spent watching an awards show.  (Don't you hate that feeling after watching a bad award show??)  I loved it and can't wait to see what they do next year!!!  My message to the Academy?  Thank you for a great show and...

PLEASE BRING BACK ELLEN!

Other things we are loving lately?  THE VOICE.  So excited for this season and happy to have started watching from the beginning this season.  I just love these four coaches (Adam, Blake, Shakira, & Usher)  and love their chemistry.  I am so happy Scandal & Parenthood are back on but I wasn't super excited about either of the episodes... hopefully both shows will continue to pick up in intensity as the season continues.  I am also so sad to have become sooo behind on Revolution.  That was my favorite new show and after the huge break they had, I just found it impossible to pick it back up.  Hopefully I'll get caught up soon.


Now, back to your regularly scheduled news....

We are currently entering into contract on a home that we both LOVE in Cordova, Tennessee.  Obviously, there are several additional steps to take before calling it OUR HOME... but goodness gracious I am just feeling so hopeful and so READY to get going on this process!!!  It is just beautiful and I will share photos the moment it all becomes more real and concrete.  The house is just under 20 years old and such a blank canvas when it comes to decorating.  It's in a quiet neighborhood and has so many of the things we were wanting in a home.  If everything goes well, we will close by the end of the month.

We had a beautiful weekend - it was 70 degrees and GORGEOUS on Saturday.  Today?  Tony is home from work because of the snow and ice.  It's been so great having him home for two days in a row!!!  YAY!  Presley has absolutely loved it, too.



Still very excited for all March has to offer.  Looking for ideas for Lent, I am considering making weekday mass with Presley a priority at least once a week during Lent.  (Not to mention making weekend mass a priority again.)  My hope with making it to weekday mass is visiting as many local Catholic churches as possible in order to find the best fit for our family.  Though, to be completely honest, I have also been considering converting to another religion that more closely aligns with my social values and beliefs.  We'll see how it goes but I'm very excited to make religion a part of my life again.

Thanks for keeping up with us - what do you guys look forward to in March?  And what were your thoughts on the Oscars?  What about any plans for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment